03 December 2008

Miss You

I find the song somewhat annoying, but it sums up my feelings towards my bikes right now: I miss them. Sure, they're stabled safely in my garage. Sure, I can look at them anytime I want. Sure, I lust after new ones occasionally. Sure, I bought new clothes and shoes to ride them on Black Friday. But, I still miss my bikes. I've not felt my feet lock into ht pedals for weeks. I've not felt the press of the saddle against my saddle for far too long. My hands are forgetting the feel of fresh bar wrap clenched loosely in my grasp. I've not felt the burning in my quads since I climbed Mueller Park. Oh, the things I miss.
I can blame it on heavy commitments at work. I can blame it on family responsibilities. I can blame it on stress of keeping our local Scout Troop running, I can blame it on cold weather. I can blame it on most anything I can dream up; but the fact remains that I've not ridden for far too long, and the dark, cold winter is about to descend upon us, heralding the end of outdoor biking until February.
"Ooh, I miss you."
It's the time of year a fellow dreams of building a new bike up with hand-picked components. It's when I should be thinking about snow skiing as a great cross-training activity, but there's no snow. It's time of year to accept that I'm one of those guys who gets fat in Winter, then tries to shrug it off and go the distance in St. George in February, only to come limping back home.
Maybe I can figure out how to work some home exercises into my schedule. Maybe I can decide if I want to replace my broken indoor trainer. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe I just accept my place in the back of the pack, and take the Winter off. So many choices.
Only the next few months will hold the real answers.
Happy Hibernation to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment