02 November 2009

Use It or Lose It

Im not really familiar with the Motley Crue song that titles this post, but I think that I would have titled it Use It and Lose It. At least that's what is happening with my off-season exercise. I am using some tools that I've had for some time, but not used well, and I'm losing weight as I rediscover them.

I've been using the NordicTrack. That's been good for me. Not only does it keep my legs up for the coming cycling season, but it works my upper body for some waterskiing strength. It's amazing what 15-18 minutes in the morning, burning 200 kilocalories before breakfast can do for weight lost.

Then today I pulled out a video that I had ordered years ago, then filed under "Failed Resolutions". That video is Graeme Street's Cyclo-Core. I attempted to complete one of the workouts after my 15 minutes of NordicTrack. I was able to do about half of the squats, half of the push-ups, and 2/3 of the other exercises.

Then, I weighed in. I was below 87 kilos. That's down from over 93 kilos earlier this year, and over 92 kilos earlier this month. I felt pretty good about that. I continued to feel pretty good until I tried walking up the stairs to my office. From that point on, my legs have felt like jelly all day.

I don't know if I can repeat that tomorrow, but I'll be up doing some sort of exercise before work. It's feeling good to get back to some regular exercise, even if it's not biking.

1 comment: