03 October 2008

When the World Is Running Down

"You make the best of what's still around." I think that the cycling world is running down for this season. How can I tell? Well there are a few reasons. Let me go through them.
First: here in Utah, the weather is changing. It's supposed to get cooler  this weekend. The leaves are starting to change. I'm starting to think about skiing. I'm definitely not thinking about water sports. But I'm still finishing out the cycling season.
My blog posts, as a second indicator, are becoming less frequent, less impassioned, and less interesting. I've done everything this season that I've set out to do (except for the last 25 km of my distance goal). I'm no longer moving toward something this year; I'm just biking.
Third, I've noticed that other cycling blogs I read have reduced the frequency of their posts recently as well. I'm seeing between a week and month since their last updates as well.
Desire, or lack of desire, is a fourth indicator. My interest in finding new ways home is waning. I'm having to talk myself into getting on the bike, and the excuses are easier to buy as I think of them. I'm also starting to think about next season more than this season.
Lusting after new stuff usually seems to hit me at this point of the season. I've either been riding the same bike for months on end, or I'm blaming my lack of riding a different bike on the bike, rather than my schedule or desire. For instance, I've lusted after two different mountain bike frames on chainlove.com in the past two days. Some little part of me was saying that if I could get one of those frames, then I'd definitely ride the mountain bike more next season. Of course, that voice is in financial conflict with the other voice that's telling me to get a city / commuter bike complete with fenders, racks, lights, and everything so that I can ride further into the fall and winter without damaging my cervelo.
Yup, it must be the end of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment