02 October 2008

Nothing

"What am I trying to do? What am I trying to say? I'm not trying to tell you anything you didn't know when you woke up today… nothing." I listened to some Depeche Mode in high school. Anyway, I've not had any desire to post anything lately, but I figured I should put a few things up.
Following a GPS: I think I mentioned that I got the Garmin Edge 705 bike computer / GPS earlier this year. I love the thing. After some glitches with earlier software versions, it now works wonderfully. I love being able to track all of my rides on my computer. I think it's awesome. However, I have a problem. I don't like being told where to go. The other day I rode out to 3600 West, then told the GPS to find me the short way home. It did. I ended up riding through neighborhoods and in some of the strangest places I've seen in a while. I believe that it did cut off a few km from the ride, but I wonder if it was any quicker after all of the stop signs, dips, and funny corners. Somewhere in the middle of the neighborhoods, I started wondering if I wouldn't have enjoyed my usual ride as much. However, at this point my commutes are becoming very routine.
Commuting duty: Thank for the segue. It seems that recently my biking commutes are becoming more a matter of habit and duty than from the joy of biking. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy riding. I love the incredible late-summer weather. (More on that later.) I like the fact that I'm getting in some exercise. However, I've ridden the same routes, and slight variations, so many times this year that I'm just ready for something different on the bike. Thank goodness Mick invited me on a mountain bike ride in a few weeks. I'll really be able to use the change. In the meanwhile, though, I'll continue to try to keep my commutes fresh in spite of so many routes being closed or hindered by road construction.
Weight control: I was reviewing the distances I've ridden over the past several years, and thinking about my average weights during those years. As obvious as it may seem, on the years that I rode more my weight stayed more in control. Last year I didn't ride much at all, and my weight went up significantly. The two years before that I rode over 3,000 km, and my weight stayed closer to where I would like it. This year, with almost 2,000 km so far my weight has come back down toward where I'd like to see it.
Weather: October has been very kind to cyclists in Northern Utah. Lows have been in the 50s (F) and highs in the 80s. It's really stayed summer for a long time. Next week is starting out a little cooler, but not bad. It looks like my goal to keep bike commuting through October, and maybe into November, will be smiled upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment