11 September 2009

Unbelievable

If you like this idea, drop a comment and let me know.

I just learned that there is a bicycle race from Salt Lake City to St. George, Utah: The Salt to Saint. Yup. That's right: a 385 miles of cycling goodness, and it's timed. Now, before you all tell me that you're not randonneurs, let me tell you that this is a team, relay race. Depending upon the number of team members you do 3 legs of 10 to 40 miles each.

So, let me put this out there. At the end of september you go for 24 +/- hours with either three or seven of your best cycling buddies over mountains and hills from Northern to extreme Southern Utah. The race happens two weeks from the day of this post. As their web site says, "You in?"

The price is kind of high, but it is fully supported. You're paying $75 to $100 per rider on the team, and have to provide your own support vehicle(s). But, what's not to love about that kind of ride. I mean, seriously, who can claim to have ridden their bike from Salt Lake to St. George? (I mean aside from my Uncle Grant?) Talk about cool bragging rights! Now that I think about it, the price isn't that crazy compared to other rides, like the ULCER that runs $55 for a mere 111 miles. Cost per mile, the Salt to Saint is a great value.

I don't think that common sense or my wife will let me do it this year, but who wants to prepare for next year? Check out the race's web site, and drop me a comment. Am I insane or inspired? Who wants to join me?

1 comment:

  1. Two weeks---no way.
    Next year---LET'S DO IT!!!
    Unless, of course, you were going to worry about your time, then you'll have to count me out. :)

    ReplyDelete