24 September 2008

Walking in LA

I was "this close" to titling this post "Abbey Road", but that is technically an album, not a song; so I went with this song by Missing Persons instead. Two reasons: I like the song, and it's a tribute to a nice crossing guard.
As I rode down 2200 West this morning I passed the crossing guard I've ridden past on several mornings. I usually say hello, and she usually waves. It's reassuring to see friendly people out. Maybe with more friendliness we could make the world a better place and settle everyone down just a little bit. Goodness knows we could use it.
So this morning the temperature was in the low 50s (fahrenheit). I chose my vented-back vest, arm warmers, leg warmers, full-finger gloves, and toe covers for temperature control. That turned out to be just about right. I unzipped the vest part-way about the middle of my commute. Then, just before getting to work I fully unzipped the vest and pulled the arm warmers down to half mast. I figure that this combination should be good down the the mid-40s. Then, because all the warming is removable, I can pull it off for my ride home when it's supposed to be around 83°.
As the temperatures drop closer to freezing, I can add in a skull cap,  swap out my wind jacket for the vest, and use both foot booties and the toe covers. The only cold place remaining will be my knees, but I'll work on that as it approaches. Maybe slipping some tights over the bike shorts will do the trick? I'll find out.
It feels good to be riding again. I calculated today that I've burned around 72,000 kcals this season just biking. That's about 18 kilos, or near 40 pounds. Too bad I've eaten the bulk of that back on or I'd be a svelte riding machine today.

No comments:

Post a Comment