13 November 2008

Nothing

"Nothing" seems like a strange title for a post, but there's something behind nothing.
You see, "nothing" is what I've been doing for any exercise, or biking, or healthy lifestyle. I'm ashamed to admit it, but that's what I'm doing. I did look at my bikes last week. Well, I think it was last week; maybe it was the week before. Anyway, I need to figure out how I'm going to stay in shape in the off season.
I don't have to stay in shape, I mean there's the old book, "The Season Starts When?" that has since been memorialized in an Old Guys Who Get Fat in Winter jersey as well. However, I got fat during the season and don't need to keep that trend going.
I was thinking the other morning that I really need to get some strength built up for skiing, and dropping a few pounds would make those jump turns through deep powder so much easier. Then last night I actually got to be at a decent time for the first time in, well since before I last looked at the bikes, and I figured that I could get up and spend a few minutes on the NordicTrack this morning. Well, that lasted until the second snooze on the alarm clock. Stupid apathy, made me look bad. (If that sounds familiar, then you, too, watched Courage the Cowardly Dog on Cartoon Network.)
I'm not sure what it will take to shock me out of my apathy, but I hope I can figure it out pretty quickly or else I'll be spending this entire ski season on the bunny hill with my wife, and none of it in the open bowls or tree lines with my brother. (Not that I mind skiing with my wife, mind you. I actually quite enjoy seeing her pick up that new skill and get a sense of accomplishment. It's just that I also enjoy tackling the more daunting parts of the hill as well to build my own skills and be able to look back up with a similar sense of accomplishment.)
Now, in case anyone reading this doesn't already read the Fat Cyclist blog as well, there will be a great new way to win cool schwag and support the fight against cancer at the same time by joining Team Fat Cyclist: Fighting for Susan starting in December. If you feel so inclined, join or donate as you are able.

No comments:

Post a Comment