02 July 2008

Changes

"Turn and face the strange, ch-ch-changes" 
A few days ago I got a call from David Flores, Nicole's uncle. One phone call can alter the course of the rest of the summer. Nothing terrible, mind you, but changed nonetheless. During the course of that call my goals for cycling this season went from saving gas on commutes and getting in a few family rides to preparing for the ULCER on 9 August. This was my first organized century two years ago, and will likely be my only one this year (as it will be David's). Now, when it's still June -- even if by only a day or two -- and the ride isn't until August, it's easy to think that I have all summer to prepare, but then I realized that I have only a month, and a rather full month at that to get from a high of 40 km to almost 180 km. Daily commutes put me around 100 km per week, but I don't have a week to complete the ULCER, only a few hours. So, in between holidays, church commitments, family commitments, and work, I have to get from "just getting on a bike" to "ready for a century" in -- essentially -- six major steps with commutes of increasing length building up an aerobic and strength base to get me through.
I'm sure I'll post more on this little endeavor as I get through the coming month. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment