08 June 2009

Breathe (2 AM)

Whether it's 2 AM or any other time, I've suddenly discovered that even breathing can be a little painful. While not entirely biking related, I think this will have a biking consequence.

Last Saturday I did some waterskiing. (I know, poor me.) On my first attempt through the course, I took a nasty fall crossing the wake after clearing the first buoy. Now, before continuing this story, let me explain that I waterski about as well as I bike: I've been doing both for years, but I'm far from proficient in either. I once watched a professional skier run through the slalom course and wondered if that was actually the same sport that I dabble in. I've wondered the same thing watching the expert (oops, now Cat 1) racers at Intermountain Cup races.

So, back to the story. I had just made the first turn and was crossing the wake when I, inexplicably, had my ski slide out from underneath me. I fell backward and slapped my chest on the water. HARD. I felt it through my life vest and wetsuit. That's a lot of layers of padding meant to warm me, float me, and protect me from impact. As the boat headed back to get me up again, I felt a little pain on my ribs where I had slapped the water. Just the water. I figured it was a bruise, or something. So, I got up and kept skiing. I made a few more passes through the (mini) course, then took a short breather.

When I started another set, maybe 45 minutes later, I found that I had a hard time holding the rope while I turned. Nothing wrong with my hands, but that spot where I had slapped the water was still hurting. So, I made just one pass, then called it a day. I figured the bruise would quickly pass, and that I'd be back to normal by the end of the weekend.

Well, the weekend's been over for five hours, and it's (definitely) not better. In fact, I now feel it every time I breathe deeply. So, I've now figured it's cracked ribs or something similar. Nothing to go to the doctor over, since I'd be told to just let it heal anyway. But, as I contemplate a ride home from work tonight, and think about having to breathe deeply for 30 - 45 minutes, I wonder how it will feel.

I hope it won't hurt too badly. But, since I can't even sit up from a prone position, I fear I'm in for some pain. Maybe this will give me more empathy for pro cyclists who are forced to retire from Grand Tours (a la the Giro d'Italia or Le Tour de France) for injuries. A rib seems to have more involvement with cycling that I had given credit in the past.

I'll try to get an update on how I feel after my next ride.

UPDATE:

I can ride with bruised ribs. It turns out that the cycling position does not place too much stress on the muscles supporting the ribs or upper body. The only thing to watch out for is bumps in the road that abruptly jostle you. Aside from those, the cycling isn't bad, even with needing to breath deeply during exertion.

I was able to ride home Tuesday night, then back into work on Wednesday morning without undue pain.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should stay home from work just until your ribs are healed oh and until your beard is long. :)

    ReplyDelete