25 June 2009

Solitary Man

So, I met a new guy last night. Well, I kind of met a new guy last night.

I was riding along 2200 West, minding my own business, and climbing the 2% grades that live on that road. Near the crest of one, I glanced over my shoulder to see what traffic was coming. I didn't see any cars, but I did see a cyclist. Right there. I mean just off my wheel and to my left. I had no idea he was there. I had been pushing along to get myself home in time for the family picnic that evening. As we continued along the road, we chatted for a few minutes about the beauty of the day for biking and the potholes we both knew were in the road.

As we approached 5400 South, I asked if he was heading east or west. He replied that he was heading west, but first he'd go a block further south to avoid the shoulder-less road. Although I thought that it would be fun to follow him, I figured that I should head east along my shortest route home. So, I slid off to the left turn lane while he slid forward toward the light.

We went our separate ways. I don't know how long he had followed me before I noticed he was there. I figure he could have passed me easily, since he had gained on me to get into the position he was in. I enjoyed the company for a minute, then resumed my solitary ride home.

And, kudos to Neil Diamond for the title to this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment