19 June 2009

Waiting for the Sun

Wow! It seems like I have been waiting for the sun all season long. I skipped St. George in February, 5-mile Pass in May, the Cycle Salt Lake Century in May, and generally any and all riding before the month of June. Now, I've been hampered by the rain during June as well.

Now, please understand, I appreciate the rain. I know that I live in a semi-arid desert that relies on early season rains and snows to get through a dry, hot summer. I also know that every day it rains is another day I don't have to turn on my sprinklers. However, every day of rain is one more day that it's easy for me to wimp out on what could often be a great ride. Such was the case Wednesday evening when I skipped the ride on account of rain, ran a couple of errands on the way home, and found the sun beating on me for half of my drive. I was tempted to turn around and ride my bike anyway, but took the wimp out route.

I am looking forward to the sunny weather today for both my bike ride to work and some waterskiing this evening. I also have friends who are looking forward to it as they run the Wasatch Back today and tomorrow.

Maybe I'll start getting in shape for the season now. I mean, it's still a good ten days until the Boy Scout bike ride around Bear Lake. Plenty of time to train for that. Maybe once that's knocked out I'll try riding my bike to the waterski lake. There's only a net elevation gain of 300 - 400 meters on that metric century ride. And nothing like working out before working out.

Now, having waited for the sun for so long, I should go greet it with a glorious ride.

And, good luck, Malisa.

1 comment:

  1. BTW, thanks for the well-wishes. Now, the heat is going to be my biggest struggle.

    ReplyDelete