15 April 2009

Feels Like the First Time

At the start of every season there's a first ride when you re-fit your saddle to your bike's saddle. That happened tonight! Just when I thought I'd be doomed to wait for several more weeks to clip into my pedals again, I was able to take a ride on the Jordan Parkway trail with a neighbor, Chris, and his son, Jared.

Let me start off by stating that it's been far, far, far too long since I've mounted a saddle and ridden. You can judge me for the time off the bike, if you want, but don't judge me for my lack of speed. I didn't say it was a race, I just said it was a ride.

I rode with these friends almost 30 km in just under two hours. Not terribly fast, but it was a fun ride with conversation as we rolled down a nearly deserted trail. Now, I don't want anyone to think that cycling is suffering. I think it's more that the temperatures were barely above freezing, and the sun was going down after an overcast day. So, on this near empty trail, we traveled along, me with Beth in tow through mud, across gravel, and dodging water puddles.

Beth quite enjoyed watching Little Einsteins on my iPhone while riding along in her enclosed Chariot Child Transport System trailer. I enjoyed the scenery and burn in my legs as I pulled along my extra 10 kilos and the 22 kilos of girl and trailer. I figure that if I can do a ride with that extra, then riding solo will be significantly easier.

I got the time to ride because Nicole needed time to prepare a talk she'll be giving at the BYU Women's Conference at the end of the month. So, she kicked both Beth and me out of the house. I was glad to have Chris and Jared to ride with.

Now, the only minor dilemma was that our new neighbor pulled up to his house with a washer and dryer in his truck as I was rolling out. I felt a little guilty riding away while he was working; however my conscience was quelled when Chris said that given a choice between riding and moving someone, he'd choose riding. He's been a Bishop, so I figured I was okay to go riding.

Now I think that I may be off to watch Beth and Malisa's kids while she runs with Nicole to get in some training for the 5k that I'm going to run. On Saturday. This Saturday. When did babysitting become training?

3 comments:

  1. Technically, it wasn't babysitting. More like housesitting, but thanks just the same. :)

    I think you riding with Beth is the best solution ever. Time for you and time for Nicole. I vote for you going on a ride with her at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As to the first point, Malisa, you are right. I was mostly just making sure that house didn't run away with the kids.

    As for the second point, good idea.

    Wait, I guess I could have just said that I agree. Wow, that would have been simpler.

    I'm glad you all enjoyed your rainy run, and that you finished before the snow settled in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Malisa's vote on the once a week thing. I think at this point it would change my life. Thanks again Babe.

    ReplyDelete