25 April 2009

Mr. Roboto

Dennis DeYoung of Styx spoke truth when he had Mr. Roboto say, "Machines dehumanize." I saw this so plainly as I pulled up to the intersection of 4100 South and Redwood Road on my bike the other day. I looked out at the two rivers of asphalt crossing each other creating a space that is inhospitable for man, woman, or child.

This space we call a road is not built for people. It is built for machines. It is built for cars. Particularly when you see the near freeway scale of many roads. Even when there is a shoulder, these speedways seem incompatible with all but the most intrepid interloper. I can clearly see that a bicycle is not the purpose for which these roads were built, even though a bicycle has the same right to inhabit the roads as those inhuman behemoths that more typically do so. And a pedestrian seems to have no business whatsoever even taking the sidewalks that act as shoulder on these roads.

As I was thinking about this dehumanizing, I was caused to remember that my daily commute is immediately impacted by it, but I've come to accept that impact as normal and unavoidable. I do not ride Redwood Road between 9000 South and somewhere in North Salt Lake. It's just not worth the risk. I take a five km detour that adds to an otherwise 8 km commute whenever I take my bike. The section -- just over 1 km -- that I would have to ride on the direct route is just not worth the cost of my life to use. There are seven lanes of traffic that run curb-to-curb at a 40 MPH speed limit, which in Utah usually means minimum speed. Although I am entitled to take as much of the right-hand lane as I need to cycle safely, there are hundreds of cars that would pass me during this stretch who are not aware of that fact, and would just as soon push me off the road as look at me. That's definitely dehumanized.

I compare this with riding the Jordan Rive Parkway Trail with friends. While the asphalt is the same, the entire atmosphere and purpose are humanizing. On days when the sun shines, you interact with pedestrians, cyclists, skaters, families on picnics, an entire cross section of humanity. And you interact. People wave, say hello, or at least smile as you approach. I find myself sending greetings to those I pass. There are trees, a river -- by Utah standards -- and life all around. Unfortunately, I cannot take this route regularly. It massively increases my ride time and lowers my speed. Usually I'm in a hurry to get to work or to get home. So, I compromise.

I usually find roads of three lanes or less. I look for the less travelled. I hunt for roads lined with homes. I look for lower speed limits. I find that I have a better chance of survival on these. If there is a shoulder, then I'm even better. By doing this I've been able to create several commute routes between my work and home that are safe for a cyclist. I stick to these.

Now, routes that I consider safe for taking my daughter in a trailer are another post for another day. Those are even fewer and harder to find, but I'll rant about that later.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely think that safety is the most important thing to consider. Riding a bike at all is dangerous enough. :)

    ReplyDelete