21 April 2009

Ma Musique, Mon Bicicle

A strange creole song that was playing on part of my ride yesterday provides today's title.

It's official. Spring is here. I know this because I have now commuted once from work and once back. For me, that seems to be the official start of Spring. Forget the calendar and all that other stuff. It's when I finally get the bike out. And this week is it!

I was amazed at how much of riding a bicycle has become automatic for me. I guess that every season I figure that I'll have to re-learn how to shift, and how to get a good cadence, and how to climb a small hill, and how to work with traffic, and so many other things. However, I was absolutely amazed at how much my brain has stored at a subconscious level that comes right back when I hit that saddle and clip in. It took me longer to remember how to use my bike computer than to instinctively react to the sound of traffic coming from behind. And, my bike computer is pretty easy to use.

As for the commuting, I remembered everything that I needed for a week of bike commuting, except for the case for my glasses. Fortunately, they can ride in a jersey pocket on their own. But the case makes it easier to put other things in with them without worry of scratching the lenses. What's on the list?
1. Lunches for the week.
2. Clothing for the week.
3. Bike clothes and gear for the ride home.
4. Glasses case
5. Bike
6. Lock
7. Computer

With all that I can make it for a week. I drive everything in on Monday morning, then ride the bike for the week, then take it all home on Friday evening in the truck. This way works for me because I need to drive for work more during the week than I do at home, and I don't like carrying a backpack every day with my stuff in it.

Welcome to bike commuting season.

No comments:

Post a Comment