18 April 2009

Looks Like We Made It


In a notable old-school twist, I blog about life before bikes with a song that existed before I knew bikes. I refer of course to running a 5k, and the Barry Manilow classic.

I supported Nicole today by running the Salt Lake City Marathon 5k. I know, it's a terrible name. But, what are you going to do? The Salt Lake Marathon Bike Tour is a more elegant name (well, no it's not) for a more elegant event. Let me explain; no there is not time. Let me sum up.

I don't hurt that badly. I believe that is due to my unbelievable training program. I registered for this weeks ago, then just woke up this morning and thought, "I'm going to run a 5k." No running in between. I'd recommend that as a training regiment for any cyclist who attempts running. Cross-train on the bike, then just do the run. I recommend this for a few reasons.

Reason 1: running takes you off the bike. That is bad. Time on the bike is good. So, train on your bike. The same heart rate zones apply off the bike as on. The same cardio base applies. The same basic muscle groups apply. So, why get off the bike? Just grab a heart rate monitor and keep in the zone you've learned from cycling you can support and you'll do fine.

Reason 2: running will break your body. Two of Nicole's friends suffered fairly serious foot problems while training for this run. One suffered a Jones fracture, the other foot pain that stopped her from running for a week, and is still felt today. I've never had this while cycling. Butt pain? Sure. But that goes away quickly, and you can play through it. Chafing? Running causes that as much as cycling, and the same solutions apply. Saddle sore? Just keep clean and they never appear.

Returning to Saturday's run: While riding the train from the parking area to starting line, I saw the elegant bicyclists flying down the street toward their destination. Wow, they looked good! Poetry in motion. However, in an attempt at fairness, the cyclists who failed to make the cutoff time and were riding amidst the runners -- I have no pity on them -- were most often riding squeaking, rattling contraptions that begged for maintenance or euthanasia.

I did enjoy running with my wife while pushing my daughter. It was a kind of family togetherness. I found that my natural stride is just off from Nicole's, however. When jogging, I was slightly faster than her, and while speed walking I was just slower than her jog. So, I ended up with a combination pace, or wog as I call it. I'd jog until I'd get a few meters ahead, then walk until I was a meter or two behind, then repeat for 5 km. I discovered, as a result of this strange pacing, that the gearing on a bike makes it far easier for a group of friends to stick together for a distance. One can run a higher cadence while another pushes a harder gear, but they can stay together. While running you are pretty much on your own.

While I survived a 5k run, and will do one more this year -- the Salt Lake Komen Race for the Cure in support of my sister-in-law -- I am still a cyclist. Even when I haven't ridden for weeks or months at a time, I am still a cyclist. I have defined myself: I ride a bike. I'll watch my wife cross the finish line at other events, and encourage her to train, but I will continue to cycle.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Babe. It was some good together time. I was very impressed by how easy it was for you, or at least how easy you made it look. I really appreciate you supporting me in my goals. You're the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture! Thanks for keeping the outsiders like me feeling like we're a part of it!

    ReplyDelete