28 July 2009

The Boys of Summer

The boys of summer are all around. They're riding commuter bikes, old department store mountain bikes, slick racing bikes. They're using the roads every morning and evening. They're riding to work. They're out training. They are all enjoying the beautiful summer weather.

I waved to one of the boys of summer after a car honked at him for using the road. We both just shrugged our shoulders and smiled. There was nothing else to do. I do, however, hope that the cyclist caught the car at the next light and passed the car while it was stopped. Just the vengeful streak that I have.

I rode behind a commuter for a few blocks. When I pulled alongside to take a pull, he dropped off. I guess that he was at the end of his commute while I was at the start of mine.

I've passed them on the other side of the road, in droves. They are friendly, usually offering a wave or nod of the head. I saw one cyclist riding south last night and north this morning. I saw a fellow on an orange Giant, wearing an orange jersey with an orange bag. Unfortunately, he was camouflaged amongst the orange cones on the road. I did admire his commitment to orange while I was just wearing a sunflower print on my jersey.

This morning one riding a tricycle while his wife walked the dog shouted out, "Showoff," when I rode by. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

The boys of summer are all around. Keep an eye out for them. They will appreciate it. I'll appreciate it, since I'm one of them. We'd love to have you join us. Whether you take the Clif Bar Challenge to make all of your trips under 2 miles by bike, or you're training for an inconceivable challenging event, or you're just pulling the bike out of the garage to ride around the neighborhood, there's a fraternity, or as my college choir labeled itself, a "frarority" out there.

Join us. Resistance is futile.

No comments:

Post a Comment