04 July 2009

This Independence

As we approached the end of our ride, Phillip said, "How about we take the little climb up to Copperton." I responded, "I need someone like you in my life… to say let's take a little climb and mean that."

This comment came on a ride we'd put together late last night, after we decided that we didn't need to pay the $20 to ride the Tour de Riverton. We figured we could ride a lot of the same stuff without the entry fee, so we did.

We crossed the TdR route, and didn't see any riders, so we figured we had missed the pack. However, a few miles later as we were climbing toward Herriman, we saw the front of the pack coming toward us on their return leg. It was fun to see so many riders enjoying what was, for them, a long, consistent descent. We were the only two climbing at that point.

My mind, seeing the rapid descent of so many cyclists, told my legs that they should match that pace. However, the same descent that propelled those riders, slowed me through that section. I held out hope that I would have a rapid descent on the Bacchus Highway once I cleared the 8% grades at the end of the climb.

We finally topped out the climb and screamed down toward the Copperton turnoff. As we passed the first option to head up, Phillip made the comment I started off with. The extra climb was quite fun. I really should also take a moment to say that Phillip has become a much stronger climber over the past year. He was rocking the steeps and held even with me, even pulling ahead at times. I was impressed.

After leaving Copperton, it was a quick sprint back home -- downhill the whole way -- to make it to the West Jordan 4th of July parade. But that's another story, and one that doesn't involve cycling.

It felt good to get my heart rate up and hit some climbs with a good friend.

Oh, and thanks to Manhattan Transfer for the title to this post: a recognition of Independence Day and the independence of riding.

1 comment:

  1. That's quite a ride to fit in before the parade. You really make me thing about taking up riding.

    ReplyDelete