24 June 2008

Cars

I realized yesterday that I live in a car world. It was sad. While writing this I remember a recent Frazz comic strip that pointed this out to me. I also realize that despite my efforts to create a bike culture around myself, that there is a car culture completely surrounding me here in the suburbs of Salt Lake.
I was looking forward to a good week with multiple cycle commutes. Yesterday was to have been the first of those. However, I was wrangled (along with my truck) into hauling mattresses in the evening, so I couldn't exactly ride my bike. Then today I need to have the car seat that's attached to my truck to take my daughter to her grandparents, ergo no bike commute today either. Maybe tomorrow. I've thought about using the bike trailer, and borrowing Grandma's car, but I don't feel safe bringing Beth home in the dark through the road construction that puts me in the middle of the lane of traffic. Even with a blinker on the back
I also realized while writing this that the car culture impacts my bike commute. The shortest commute route is along Redwood Road. I have a full right to use that road on a bike. However, that right won't keep me alive against cars who think that bikes should be relegated to sidewalks. That seven-lane, shoulder-less monstrosity is probably less bike friendly than most interstate freeway. So, I ride the extra two to three miles to detour around that road. Advantage cars. And, yes, today's post title is also a song title.

No comments:

Post a Comment