17 June 2008

Hot, Hot, Hot

Wow! We jumped from highs around 60° F to above 90° F over the weekend. (Sorry about not using metric, but the temperature is the one thing that I've not been able to learn to convert easily and the weather reports in Utah all use Fahrenheit.) That means that the cold weather gear can go away until autumn. Welcome to summer!
Last night I caught traffic just right so as to be able to keep up with cars for about 6 km of my commute. I had a nice tailwind, and the cars were taking a couple of lights to get through the intersections, so I leap-frogged a number of autos at each light. It was FUN! Then I turned off that street and couldn't keep tabs on that traffic any longer.
Then I took on an 11% grade on Winchester. Yup, the new GPS bike computer will also tell the grade of the road I'm riding. As I approached the hill I saw another cyclist, and thought we may meet up at the light at the top of the hill. So, I kept pedaling. As I shifted through the gears I felt fairly strong climbing the hill, then noticed as I approached the other rider that he had dismounted and was walking his bike up the hill. I really couldn't believe that I was still going up as well as I was. Now, when I reached the red light I was panting like a dong on a summer's afternoon. I was really glad the light was red so I could stop and get my heart and lungs under control.
Then this morning I rode without any extra warming clothes. Summer is fun. Even if I do sweat a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment