06 June 2008

River Deep, Mountain High

The Jordan River was running really deep today with the runoff from the mountains, Utah Lake, and recent storms filling it to capacity. I'd say it feels like spring, but the cold temperatures have had me wondering if it's March or June. Hopefully we'll eventually move our way toward summer. At least the recent rains, while complicating riding, have meant I've not had to water my lawn as much, and the reservoirs should fill up this summer.
A couple of days ago, Kyle asked me about how I rode in the rain. That particular day I had managed to avoid the rains and wet roads with the timing of my rides. However the following day I put covers on my shoes, arm and leg warmers on me, and wrapped myself in a rain vest to get to work across the wet streets (and that was supposed to be the day the rains cleared). Keeping the wet away from your core, and keeping the winds at bay is really the great secret to riding on wet roads, and in lighter rain storms. Fortunately I don't have to deal with real torrential, tropical downpours in Utah. There's no way to stay dry in those. You just hope that you don't get too much water into bearings during your ride so your bike's ready to ride the next day.
I saw Tal this week as we crossed Redwood Road in opposite directions, he in the crosswalk, me flowing with traffic. I think I caught him off guard, even though I didn't mean to. He's published a book about some of his experiences: Feast After the Spirit. Check it out on Amazon. I also saw another neighbor in her SUV this morning. I'm pretty sure she didn't realize who I was, being all pimped out in cycling apparel, and it took me a minute to recognize her at the light. But at least I was friendly.
This morning wrapped up the first full week of commuting that I've done in a long time. I was on the bike at least one direction to or from work every day this week. I'm sometimes surprised at how well I can do at home sharing a single car. Granted there are times when having a second auto is extremely convenient, but I'm finding life to be approachable without it much of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment