03 June 2008

Paradise City

"Take me down to Paradise City, where the lights are green and the traffic is pretty; oh, won't you please take me home?" Okay, so maybe those aren't the words, but they should be! Last night and this morning: commutes with nary a stop!
Last night, on a slightly lengthened commute I rolled up to almost every light as it turned green. Yep, over 16 km and I only dismounted at one minor intersection where I just missed on the yellow. Other than that it was smooth sailing and a good 169 meters climbing with an average speed of just under 28 km/h. It felt good to just ride.
This morning was a shorter route, but an average speed of over 31 km/h. I did have to stop at three short lights, but got the rest green! 
This was also the first morning of the season that I've ridden without leg or arm warmers. Yep, just bibs and a short-sleeve jersey. It felt great! I'm looking forward to more of this nice weather -- after a possible storm tomorrow.  I have a goal of 30 rides this month, and the warmer weather will really be helpful in getting there. I'm counting each leg of my commute as one ride, and any weekend rides I may get are bonuses. Two down and 28 to go!

Quick clothing note: I'm hooked on bibs. I read in a bike mag some time ago that once you try bibs, you'll never go back to shorts. I can see why. Bibs stay put with no tugging during the ride, they don't bind at your waist, and you never have to worry about your jersey and your shorts separating.

No comments:

Post a Comment