14 June 2008

Soft Rains of April

"The soft rains of April are over." And it's about time. It seems like Utah's been stuck in March and April for three months. This included a morning ride in single digits (Celcius) and almost continuous rain. However, the week ended with a rapid approach toward June. I've also learned that once a chain starts to squeak regularly, no amount of lube -- it seems -- is going to save you long term. I think it's time for a new chain for the cervélo.
I think it was Tuesday when I first intended to post this, since I rode in a light drizzle in temperatures just over freezing. It's a good thing that I have the leg and arm warmers so that I could enjoy the ride. Yes, I mean it. With the long finger gloves, a wind vest, and the arm and leg warmers I actually almost overheated during the ride. And I wasn't even wearing the skull cap. It was actually quite fun to ride in the cold like that. Too often I avoid riding when it's cold because I think that I'm going to just freeze myself, but as long as I'm prepared it's actually okay. And prepared doesn't mean unlimited layers either. It's largely a matter of getting accustomed to what layers and wind resistance works at specific temperatures and rain levels and then wearing that. I recently read a Yehuda Moon comic strip about riding in the rain, and found myself siding more with Yehuda than with Joe. See where you fall.
I have recently discovered that I really need to get some core training to accompany the lower body and cardio exercise that cycling provides. You may laugh, but I'm starting to use the AbSlide. Yep, as seen on TV a few years ago. I have the core body strength of a ten-year-old video gamer. WEAK!
I also got in some waterskiing today and that helped me to realize that upper body strength is a good thing. My legs worked great the whole time I was skiing, but my arms gave out on a couple of cuts. I was left in the water, watching the boat pull away from me while I floated there contemplating how I was going to get my arms stronger so I could hold on longer. Again I came up with the AbSlide for lack of a better solution.
Overall, a good week to ride. But then I'm starting to think that any week is a good week to ride, particularly now that my daily commute can save almost $4 each day compared to driving the truck to work. That goes a long way toward more saving, new bike parts, or my wife's shopping habit.

1 comment: