10 June 2008

Mothers Talk

"When the wind blows, when the mothers talk… we can work it out." This song by Tears for Fears describes last evening perfectly. I started out with a strong headwind for my commute, then ended up on the periphery of a discussion between to mothers about blogging.
First the commute, since the joy of biking is supposed to be the focus of this weblog. The temperature was ideal for biking and the sun was shining in a cloudless sky. I was in short sleeves, and loving the feeling. The only downside was the strong headwind blowing from the south. But, I could be forgiven for loving the ride anyway, even if I was running about 5 km/h slower than usual as I fought the wind. I took one of my usual routes home since I had to leave work late, wanted to minimize the time on the bike so I could see Nicole and Beth, and didn't want to have to fight any more headwind than necessary.
Then later in the evening my family went for a walk. If we can't do much biking together at this time, at least we can walk together. We had made it a good 1/4 km when we ran into a good friend, and stopped to talk. Nicole and her somehow got on the topic of blogs and how so many blogs paint a rosy picture of the world. Then these two women, whom I consider to each be good mothers, said that reading these blogs that skip over problems can, at times, make them feel inadequate. I hope that nobody feels inadequate reading my blog. I mean, I'm just an old, overweight biker who's trying to keep from getting obese by commuting by bike.
Anyway I'm about to head out into a beautiful morning that's supposed to degrade into a rainy day later. I hope I survive. Who knows, that south wind may still be blowing and I'll feel like I've gotten fast with the wind assist behind me. One can always hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment